Causes of Carbon Monoxide in the Home

sb10066306af-001Carbon monoxide onsets in any location can be dangerous and lethal, but carbon monoxide in the home is particularly worrisome. With the possible exception of the workplace or school, most Americans spend the majority of their time in their homes. This is especially true because you sleep in your bed all night, breathing in the air around you. Your home should be a safe place, and it can be with the right home security products there to keep it safe. With a carbon monoxide detector in your home, you can feel assured that any outflow of carbon monoxide will be picked up by your detector, warning you to get outside to safer ground and call the fire department. But even with the carbon monoxide detector to warn you of its presence, there is yet more you can be aware of. Many things cause carbon monoxide in the home, and if you are aware of what to do or avoid doing, you can prevent an influx of carbon monoxide in your home.

What to Do

First off, be aware of what causes carbon monoxide: the incomplete burning of fossil fuels. That means that any fuel-burning appliance in your home should be regularly inspected, particularly at the beginning of the winter season. This list of appliances includes but is not limited to furnaces, wood stoves, kerosene heaters, space heaters, gas ranges, gas ovens, fireplaces, and chimneys. Have a professional make sure that there are no chimney blockages, and ventilate the fumes from appliances wherever possible. Open the kitchen window while cooking if you can to avoid collection of CO gas in the room. When burning fuel in your home, keep your doors open for the free flow of oxygen and crack windows if you can. Most importantly, make sure that you follow instructions for all appliances with careful attentiveness.

What Not to Do

Emergency Vehicles 145997531First and foremost, if you recognize the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning, DON’T ignore them. Immediately remove yourself from your home and go outside to fresher air, call the fire department, and call your doctor for medical advice. If you fail to do this, you’re putting your own life in jeopardy. Additionally, you can avoid the risk of CO poisoning by following a few safe habits. As much as possible, avoid idling the car in the garage. Don’t try to save on the electric bill by using your gas oven to heat the house. Avoid sleeping in an unvented room with a gas heater and never use charcoal grills inside your home. All of these activities can cause carbon monoxide gas to collect in the area, leading to it sweeping through your home and causing all of you to get very sick.

Carbon monoxide gas can be life threatening, so be aware of the causes of it in your home. Exercise smart habits when burning fossil fuels, and pay attention to how your mind and body are reacting to the air inside your home. And keep an eye out for the rest of those who live with you. You just might save a life by doing so.